Tuesday, October 1, 2019

‘Alarming Incoherence’



“In most circumstances, presenting information in as intelligible a form as possible is what we are trained for. But the shock I felt hearing half an hour of unfiltered meanderings from the president of the United States made me wonder whether the editing does our readers a disservice.

“I’ve read so many stories about his bluster and boasting and ill-founded attacks, I’ve listened to speeches and hours of analysis, and yet I was still taken back by just how disjointed and meandering the unedited president could sound.” . . .

“[W]atching just one press conference . . . helped me understand how the process of reporting about this president can mask and normalise his full and alarming incoherence.” 

—Lenore Taylor, editor of Guardian Australia, “As a foreign reporter visiting the US, I was stunned by Trump's press conference,” The Guardian, Sept. 20, 2019.



Editorial Comment: Thank you for saying that. It’s not just me.

An Aside: In the old days (say, three years ago), anything a president said or did was newsworthy, and it was the reporter’s duty to deliver it to the public’s consideration. In the really old days, reporters would routinely clean up officials’ garbled syntax, reporting what they meant. That was normal. But nothing in politics is “normal” anymore.  




 
PeezPix

http://www.humsenior.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Senior-News-October-2019.pdf?lbisphpreq=1















FREE! Get TODAY'S WORD ON JOURNALISM in your email This free “service” is sent to 2,000,000 or so subscribers around the planet more or less every weekday morning during WORD season. If you have recovered from whatever illness led you to subscribe and don’t want it anymore, send “unsubscribe” to ted.pease@gmail.com. Or if you want to afflict someone else, send me the email address and watch the fun begin. (Disclaimer: I just quote ’em, I don’t necessarily endorse ’em. Don’t shoot the messenger.) 
 
Ted Pease, Professor of Interesting Stuff, Trinidad, California. (Be)Friend The WORD

“I don’t think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.” —Tom Stoppard


No comments:

Post a Comment