Monday, March 14, 2022

‘The Lord’s Work’

“They will stand at post as journalists, and continue to do what I consider the Lord’s work.

 

“I am wiping away my own tears tonight as I write this farewell, and I want to leave you with the very things so many young journalists have heard me preach over decades. I believe these truths apply to us all. First, never let anyone steal your joy. Second, take care of you. Because some days, no one else will. And finally . . . only heart lasts.”

 

—Holly Zacharia, ending a 30-year reporting career, “A farewell thank you: Sharing in your joys and heartbreaks has been my greatest honor,” The Columbus Dispatch, March 11, 2022. (Thanks to alert WORDster Mike Lorz)

 

 

• Editorial Comment: Thank you, Holly.

 

PeezPIX 

Big Winter Blow, 2014

  

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Read all about it! The March issue of Senior News: Age & Ageism. Check it out!

FREE! TODAY'S WORD ON JOURNALISM This free “service” is sent to rafts of subscribers worldwide more or less every weekday morning during WORD season. If you have recovered from whatever illness led you to subscribe and don’t want it anymore, send “unsubscribe” to ted.pease@gmail.com. Or if you want to afflict someone else, send me the email address and watch the fun begin. (Disclaimer: Don’t shoot the messenger. I just quote ’em, I don’t necessarily endorse ’em.)
 
“I don’t think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.”Tom Stoppard

_____________
Edward C. Pease
, Ph.D.
Professor & Department Head Emeritus
Department of Journalism & Communication
Utah State University
Today's WORD on Journalism

 

No comments:

Post a Comment