Tuesday, September 1, 2009

St. Mumbles

.
Alert WORDster

. . . Bruce Adomeit of the Minneapolis Star Tribune celebrates the WORD’s latest escape from St. Mumbles Home for the Terminally Verbose by sending this image of the Mumbling Lighthouse, off the coast of Wales, after which the WORD’s institution is modeled....




The Mombles Leuchtthurm an der Kuste von Glamorganshire

Mumbles Lighthouse, built in 1794, sits on the outer of two islands off Mumbles Head in Swansea Bay, Wales. “Mumbles Head,” he mused. “I like it!”
.

1 comment:

  1. On Oct 13, 2009, at 9:52 AM, menke-voigt wrote:

    Dear Mr. Ted Pease,

    I just found the picture of 'The Mombles Leuchtthurm an der Küste von Glamorganshire' at the 18. Volume/1857 of Meyer's Universum. Now I am looking for two articles/pictures of the
    11. Volume/year?. At my collection (I inherited it from my grandfather) there is only an index for the 11. Volume, the rest is missing. Perhaps you have this book and maybe you could do me the big favour, as to copy the two entries for 'Die Mountsbay in Cornwallis' (page 45) and 'Portsmouth' (page 135). I am working on reconstructing the time schedule of my Grand-Grandfather, a German master in the 19th Century. He came to Mountsbay and Portsmouth on his trips. I would be most grateful, if you could help me.

    Greetings from Bremen, Germany,
    Hella Menke-Voigt

    ---
    Dear Hella:

    What a nice surprise! I am delighted to hear from you and about your great-grandfather, but I'm afraid I can't be any help at all about either the St. Mumbles lighthouse or your grandfather. A friend sent me the picture of the lighthouse, and I found your great-grandfather's picture online. What is your great-grandfather's name?

    Good luck with your search.

    All the best from Petersboro, Utah, USA
    Ted Pease

    ReplyDelete