Thursday, January 28, 2010

American Idolizing

.
The New Social Glue: Celebrity

“[C]elebrity isn’t an anointment by the media of unworthy subjects, even though it may seem so. . . . It is actually a new art form that competes with--and often supersedes--more traditional entertainments like movies, books, plays and TV shows, and that performs, in its own roundabout way, many of the functions those old media performed in their heyday: among them, distracting us, sensitizing us to the human condition, and creating a fund of common experience around which we can form a national community. I would even argue that celebrity is the great new art form of the 21st century.”
—Neal Gabler, writer, “Celebrity: The Greatest Show on Earth:
In defense of our Brangelina-loving, Jon and Kate-hating,
Tiger-taunting, tawdry tabloid culture,”
Newsweek,
Dec. 21, 2009
URL

Editor’s Note: Get me the Octomom!
.

4 comments:

  1. Although Gabler makes a compelling argument as to what does and does not constitute a "celebrity", I wonder if he has taken into full account the marketers ideology of "publicity stunts". A pathertic portrait of a bald-headed and extremely agitated Britney Spears, fully accessorized with streaks of mascara, sweat pants, and a white leather Gucci bag is the image that first pops into my head when I hear the word "celebrity". I actually believe that Britney had a mental breakdown, I mean, she has been on a celery diet since the age of 14, she sees horrible beach photos of herself every time she goes to the store, and she got dumped by a fat backup dancer that the magazines dubbed "K-Fed". Isn't that depressing? But, to believe that half of what goes on in "celeb land" isn't staged, scripted is merely a lack of common sense in my book. I do like how Gabler turns the meaning of "celebrity" to actually mean another medium of media and I find this article fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I to be concerned about tawdry people I wouldn't invite into my home?


    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim: Amen.

    Cami: I agree completely with you on the victim-celebrities like Britney Spears, whose celebrity is not entirely her fault. But Gabler's larger critique, as you indicate, is not about the celebrities themselves, but the phenomenon of OUR voyeuristic need to pay attention to people who are famous solely because we make them so. This now seems to define us and "community" for so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted and Ann,

    Chris Hedges gave celebrity a whole chapter in his excellent new book, Empire of Illusion. It's quite apparent that he disagrees entirely with Gabler. So do I. Social glue? Do I really want to "create a fund of common experience" around Paris Hilton and John Edwards and Tiger Woods? Hardly!!!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete