Monday, April 15, 2019

Campus Public Radio Station Killed


“Thank you all for letting me into your morning commute, for telling me your stories of hope, tragedy, triumph and love. Thank you for letting me speak your truths through an omni-directional microphone. Thank you for letting me take your photos and for calling me in the morning to let me know it’s White-THORN not Whitehorn. I will forever hold KHSU in my heart and memory as a place of acceptance, peace and home to the hardest working folks I’ve ever met.

“What now, you may ask, will a local unemployed radio gal do in this crisis? I’ll survive. I always do.”

—Natalya Estrada, journalist and the last employee to leave public radio KHSU, which was summarily shut down by Humboldt State University on Thursday, in a statement to local media, “Last employee leaves KHSU,” North Coast Journal, April 13, 2019.


Backstory: In an inexplicable and stunningly shortsighted and ham-fisted move, the Humboldt State University administration sent University Police to close down the campus public radio station on Thursday morning, and locked out its employees and volunteers, just days after an on-air fund drive. On Sunday, with no one to run the NPR station, KHSU was off the air for much of the day. 



-->

PeezPix


Little Dayglo School House













FREE! Get TODAY'S WORD ON JOURNALISM in your email This free “service” is sent to 2,000,000 or so subscribers around the planet more or less every weekday morning during WORD season. If you have recovered from whatever illness led you to subscribe and don’t want it anymore, send “unsubscribe” to ted.pease@gmail.com. Or if you want to afflict someone else, send me the email address and watch the fun begin. (Disclaimer: I just quote ’em, I don’t necessarily endorse ’em. Don’t shoot the messenger.) 
 
Ted Pease, Professor of Interesting Stuff, Trinidad, California. 
(Be)Friend The WORD

“I don’t think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.” —Tom Stoppard

No comments:

Post a Comment