Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Today's WORD: Fish Wrap

.
Here’s Why I Read the Paper

“I love going out in the dark, finding the paper and reading it over breakfast. It’s just not the same online. Here’s why I read the paper:
1) I want to know what’s going on. An uninformed citizenry is an opportunity for corrupt politicians. If we don’t buy the paper, journalists can't afford to produce quality reporting. No one is out there arguing used cars want to be free—the same is true for quality information.
2) Coupons and sales. I make more than the cost of the paper back in savings.
3) Reuse: I don’t buy wrapping paper. I save the Sunday comics. Half the time my children stop and read their presents before opening them.
4) Fire. That stuff is great for getting a fire going. You can only do that once with a laptop.”
—Matthew Flitton, journalist, on his Facebook yesterday

Editorial Comment: And the time I used my Macbook to wrap a salmon! Euuuuh.
.

2 comments:

  1. I had similar thoughts today, as I took a break from work, sat for 15 minutes in the coffee shop next door, and enjoyably perused the paper.

    I got an almost visceral pleasure from the experience. There's just something about choosing and picking up the paper, scanning all the many interesting stories, folding the paper to the one that engages you the most, noting the artful juxtaposition of photos to text... to
    say nothing of the actual reading, in which you engage in mental dialogue with the journalist. Reading the newspaper also gives you something both useful and reflective to do when actual talking isn't necessary or an option. It's like the proverbial cigarette after sex.

    You just can't duplicate the experience digitally.

    --Alex.

    P.S. Flitton forgot to mention newsprint as packing paper... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this. I also love waking up grabbing the paper just before sunrise, especially during the summer. During that time of the year I set on my porch with the cool morning relaxing with the paper. The newspaper does have a lot of benefits to it.

    ReplyDelete