Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Wisdom of Dogs Barking

.
YouBoobTube

“This sense that having a face means you have the right to put it up in public and having an opinion makes it worth hearing is very perplexing to me. About three minutes of anything on YouTube should kill any interest you have in seeing more. So why doesn't it? Is idiocy in endless loops somehow more interesting or informative? I’ve learned more from dogs barking than anything I’ve seen on YouTube. All in all, this isn't democracy. It’s just widening the number of people who feel the same stupid way you do, which leaves the impression that everyone feels that way. It validates narrowmindedness, if not bigotry.”
—Mark L. Damen, classics professor, on the YouTube phenomenon, 2008

(See Michael Wesch’s excellent “An Anthropological Introduction to YouTube” at the Library of Congress, 2008: URL)

Editor’s Note: How about dogs barking on YouTube?

§ § §

4 comments:

  1. If Damen can't find three minutes of content worth watching on YouTube, I question his credibility. You have to dig a bit--have to learn a new way of searching for quality postings--but I've found some very informative and very creative clips on YouTube that I would never have seen otherwise. I'd be happy to steer him toward some, but I suspect he's already made his mind up. A pity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Dec 3, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Bud wrote:

    He’s right, of course. Depending on the context, when my Schnauzer barks I know EXACTLY what she’s trying to say.

    TP sez:
    Mark is a friend who inexplicably (to me) owns dachshunds. He has more intense conversations with them than with most humans (although mostly on three topics: poop, food and poop. But what else is there, really?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Anne, though. I don't go to Youtube for profundity, though I suppose it is there if you know where to look. Youtube is entertainment and some of it is much more creative and, yes, funny, than what you can find on the networks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...It validates narrowmindedness, if not bigotry."

    This was a WOW quote for me Ted... I never thought of it that way -- thanks ! mo in santa babs

    ReplyDelete