Thursday, February 4, 2010

Boots on the Ground

.
Bearing Witness

“I am a reporter, plain and simple. I happen to think it is incredibly important to be a witness on the ground. You can blog the hell out of a story, and opine forever, but all of this is based on information from the field. It is becoming increasingly pricey to be in the field for security reasons, and it is increasingly dangerous for reporters to cover stories of our day. I worry that we will not be there. I worry that ‘trash’ news, as I frankly care to call it, will dominate the major outlets.”
—Anne Garrels, National Public Radio foreign war correspondent, 2010.


Editor’s Note: Wait. Didn’t Edward R. Murrow just phone it in from the Blitz?

Today’s winter wonderland* photo.
*as in, "I wonder why I live in this @%*^&@!! climate?”
.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the self-involved youth-ish. Murrow not only reported the Blitz from the rooftops of London. He also flew in a bomber over Germany... at a time when one out of every eight bombers did not return. And he did it twice.

    ReplyDelete