“Rupert Murdoch is ‘not a fit person’ to exercise stewardship of a major international company, a [British Parliament] committee of MPs has concluded, in a report highly critical of the mogul and his son James’s role in the News of the World phone-hacking affair.
“The Commons culture, media and sport select committee also concluded that James Murdoch showed ‘wilful ignorance’ . . . .”
“Rupert Murdoch . . . ‘did not take steps to become fully informed about phone hacking’ and ‘turned a blind eye and exhibited wilful blindness to what was going on in his companies and publications.’ The committee concluded that the culture of the company’s newspapers ‘permeated from the top’ and ‘speaks volumes about the lack of effective corporate governance at News Corporation and News International.’”
—Dan Sabbagh and Josh Halliday, reporters,
The Guardian, May 1, 2012
• See HuffPost link
• About NewsCorp, NYTimes, May 1, 2012
• Editorial Comment: So is that good news or bad news about who’s driving Fox News?
• NEWS CORP OWNS . . . (partial list)
Fox TV & News (19 cable stations and 25 local TV affiliates)
International Satellite TV: BSkyB (39%), FOXTEL (25%), Sky Deutschland, SKY Italia, Sky Network Television Limited (44%), TATA Sky (20%)
Fox 2000 Pictures and 16 film companies, including Fox Music, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox Studios Australia, Fox Studios LA, Fox Television Studios . . .
The New York Post
The Wall Street Journal
24 U.S. newspapers
15 Australian & British newspapers
20th Century Fox
• Yesterday’s WORD: Errat . . . um Did you miss yesterday’s WORDs about correcting errors on TV News from NYTimes media critic David Carr? Click here.
News from our award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café
• Journalism prof known as quirky, dedicated, passionate, inspirational, by Kristi Ottley
• ACL injury lands snowboard pro in months of rehab, by Josh Ruggles
• History named top teaching department at USU in fierce competition, by Allie Jeppson
• Astronomer warns of ‘Death from the Skies’ in Science lecture, by Mary Stocking
• Commencement 2012: Aggies have less debt than national average, by Kristi Ottley
• Aggies team up with Nike to launch new ‘look’, by Rebecca Holliday
• Young couple finishes restoration of historic Hyde Park house, by Shannon McCleve
• Wellsville residents’ opinions divided on proposed truck stop, by Jemina Herrero • Aggies TV News—Cache Rendezvous (April 25)
• Decision nears on proposed Oneida Narrows dam, but fight not over yet, by Allie Jeppson
PeezPIX by Ted Pease
Lulu the Bighearted Dog left us much too soon.