Thursday, March 25, 2010

Steinemisms

.
Editor’s Note: Today’s is Gloria Steinem's 76th birthday, and USU’s celebration of Women’s History Month (Click here).

Speaking Out

• “Most women’s magazines simply try to mold women into bigger and better consumers.”
• “Some of us are becoming the men we wanted to marry.”
• “I will no longer be referred to as Miss Steinem of Ms. magazine.”
• “The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.”
• “We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters.”
• “The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.”
• “The first resistance to social change is to say it's not necessary.”
• “Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.”
—Gloria Steinem, author, writer and activist.

Editor’s Note: Thinking can be hard work.

Today’s Wish-I-Were-Here Photo: Splish-splash

.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't say most women's magazines make them bigger and better consumers, I would say that they ALL do that. I have never opened a women's magazine that wasn't geared toward breeding new people who will believe greed is an admirable trait, creating an image of women that doesn't really exist (ie: what women really look like), or putting a greater value on consumerism than is necessary or healthy. But, I get three different magazines to my house.

    ReplyDelete