Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Scribbler

.
Early Bloomer

“I was always going to be a writer. I’ve known this for as long as I’ve known anything. It was an accepted fact in my family by the time I had entered the first grade, which makes no sense, as I was late to either read or write. In fact, I was a terrible student when I was young. I’ve always believed the reason I was passed from grade to grade was that I could put together some raw version of a story or a poem, even if all the words were misspelled and half of them were written backwards. Like a cave child scratching pictures on the wall of bison and fire and dancing, I showed an early knack for content. Only writing kept me from being swept into the dust heap of third grade, and for this reason I not only loved writing but felt a strong sense of loyalty to it. I may have been shaky about tying my shoes and telling time, but I was sure about my career, and I consider this certainty the greatest gift of my life.”

—Ann Patchett
, writer and author
of a new online memoir,
The Getaway Car, 2011

• Editorial Comment: Ooog to wife: “Bad baby drawing on living room again. Feed to mastodon!”

• ‘Mingi’ Babies: Friend and colleague Matthew LaPlante, with amazing photos by Rick Egan, tells the heart-wrenching story of tribal infanticide in Ethiopia, in Is the tide turning against the killing of 'cursed' infants in Ethiopia? on CNN.com. Amazing stuff.


• Reading List: Columbia Journalism Review has published reading suggestions from selected journalists/Jprofs. Can’t say as I agree (or even have heard of!) all of these, but interesting. Better get caught up.

Visit our award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café

River Heights residents want animal control to take more responsibility, by Shanna Peterson & Lindsay Nemelka
Logan City Council hopefuls talk growth, pollution, downtown issues, by Heidi Hansen & Cathy Morgan
Temple Grandin: ‘I saw an opportunity to be a practical reformer,’ by Rachel Kenley

PeezPix cards & prints
. . . Catalog here.






.


No comments:

Post a Comment