Thursday, February 12, 2009

Today's Word: Helo-Moosehunting

.
Sportscasting Dodges a Bullet. Literally?

“When I was in high school, my desire was to be a sportscaster. ESPN was just kicking off, just getting off the ground, and I thought that's what I was going to do in life, is be one of the first woman sportscasters. Until I learned that you'd have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol.”
—Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska, 2008
(Click moose bag for “The Ballad of Sarah Palin” video.)

Headlines: HONEY!? Get Me Rewrite!

RED-LETTER DAY
Today in History
2004: First same-sex couples married in San Francisco; 1999: Clinton impeachment fails; 1973: North Vietnam starts releasing U.S. POWs; 1909: NAACP founded; 1912: Last Chinese emperor abdicates; 1870: Women in Utah Territory get the vote; 1809: 200! Abraham Lincoln’s and Charles Darwin’s birthdays; 1789: Colonial furnituremaker Ethan Allen dies (See History.com.)

8 comments:

  1. Well, we'll proably never know how good a sportscaster she might have been. She certainly has personality, however you line up with her politics.
    Can't really argue with her choice to maintain her home base and not upheave everything and cross the country for a job. It's taken me half my life to learn that a job is just a job, and home is home.
    Deb Woodell, sports copy editor, Philadelphia Daily News (my hometown paper); senior adjunct, Rowan University (my hometown university)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A copy editor always fixes her mistakes....make that "*probably* never know" .... Deb Woodell regrets her error.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gov. Palin would've been the perfect successor to Dick Cheney, gun-totin' but a LOT better looking!! Shoot a lawyer for Freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just in from one of the many erudite lexicographers on the crack WORD staff:

    "Bristol" (as you may already know) is part of the wonderful Cockney rhyming slang glossary: "Bristol" equals "titty" ("Bristol [city] / titty," ala "raspberry [tart] / fart.") I'm not sure Sarah knew that--or whether it would have made any difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the kind of logic we were offered..
    ..."instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol."

    So if she'd become Veep, and decided that it was too far to travel to meet with the Saudis, "...so, instead I bombed the s**t out of Riyahd."

    Brilliant!

    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad for her daughter that she didn't get offered a job in Kalamazoo.

    Hank

    TP adds:
    Good point. My first job was covering Belchertown. And I had an offer in Sag Harbor....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strange. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats funny.
    Cool that, thats what she wanted to do and I think most of us know what kind of writer and outspoken nature she would have.

    Thats a unique name though!

    ReplyDelete