Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Today's Word—Amid the Maelstrom . . .

.
. . . A Place to Think

“A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy.”
—Edward P. Morgan (1910-1993), TV/radio newsman and commentator

Today in History
2007: Barack Obama announces presidential candidacy; 1996: Chess Master Gary Kasparov loses to a computer; 1970: Franch avalanche buries skiers; 1964: Dylan releases “The Times They Are A-Changin’”; 1962: captured U-2 pilot Gary Powers swapped for Soviet spy; 1933: First singing telegram; 1846: Mormons begin trek from Illinois to Utah; 1763: French and Indian War ends as France cedes Canada to England
(See History.com.)

4 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful thought from Mr. Morgan. I'm sure that if he had lived longer he would have realized that the same contemplative experience with fragile thoughts can take place as one sits reading pages on one's computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of getting lost in a book and being able to have an experience you can't have in the real world. Books transport you to another world if you let them. I think you can have the same experience from writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read, the whole concept of becoming so involved in a book that you forget all around you is magical to me. I, now, only read books that make me wonder and questiont the world I live in and the standards I have. Reading is such a way to change the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. A book explores anything you want it to, it takes you anywhere you want to go and it evolves into whatever your mind takes it.

    Reading for me opens up my mind, no matter what I'm reading. I learn to see things in a way I haven't been open to before and in ways I've never thought of...

    The word has too much to learn about with too little time to learn it..
    We'll never come close if we don't take the time now to learn what we can...

    ReplyDelete