Thursday, April 30, 2009

Old Folks

.
Hope in a Geriatric America

“For people who still love print, who like to hold it, feel it, rustle it, tear stuff out, do their I. F. Stone thing, it’s important to remember that people are living longer. That’s the most hopeful thing you can say about print journalism, that old people are living longer.”
—Phil Bronstein, editor-at-large, The San Francisco Chronicle, 2009
(Quoted in Maureen Dowd column.)
(Thanks to aging but alert WORDster Andy Merton)

Editorial Comment: Clip those support-hose coupons.
.

5 comments:

  1. Just my gut feeling . . . but I'm pretty sure if you put a print edition newspaper in front of a child and also bring up the online version, and eliminate all other distractions, the child will spend more time perusing the print version. But do we make much of an effort to attract very young readers?

    And then we wonder why our market has died out. Literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, consarn it, Teddy, if those young whippersnappers would just turn off those goldurned computin’ contraptions, the world would be a better place. Yesiree. We didn’t need those infernal devices when WE were their age. No sir! We just had paper, and we liked it!

    So I guess the moral is: Give us print till the day all of us over 50, on this date, die. When the last one of us is gone, there will be general rejoicing in the streets by all the kids, who will then burn all the printing presses (which won’t be easy, mind you). Yeehaw.

    JS

    ReplyDelete
  3. After there are no more newspapers, I want to know what I'm going to use to clean up after the cats and dogs when they have an accident..... old
    laptops?
    Caitlin (computer technician)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, am I tired of hearing, "Now that newspapers are gone, what will we use to line the bird cage/line the litter box/clean up after the dog?" Call me sensitive, but it's not funny. An acquaintance used that on me after learning my old paper was folding and I can't forgive her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete