“The Internet has been described as the great equalizer of democracy, and used responsibly, that is undoubtedly true. But in lightning-fast fashion, the Internet also makes it easier for partisans to engage in hate speech, spin conspiracy theories and use intimidation in an attempt to squelch opposing opinions.”
—Stuart Leavenworth, editorial page editor,
The Sacramento Bee, URL, Feb. 25, 2012
(Thanks to alert WORDster Tony Seton)
• Editorial Comment: If t’were done, best that it were done quickly.
• Accidental Truth: Did you miss yesterday’s WORDs from British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, on most people’s aversion to truth? Click here.
• Relocation: The JCOM Department begins its move today into its swanky new offices in the new Ag Building on the USU Quad.
• Faculty Wanted! The JCOM Department at Utah State is taking applications for a multimedia instructor, teaching our new required multimedia class and assisting with the Aggie TV newscast classes. For full position description, click here.
News from our award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café
• Hard News Café March News Roundup (March 26)
• Logan man arrested on suspicion of felony theft, by Tmera Bradley
• The Aggie TV News Team Cache Rendezvous (March 21 edition). Bookmark ATV News
• Cat dies in RV park fire; trailer renter charged with arson, by Mary Stocking
• Fate of Cherry Peak ski area appeal still undecided, by Josh Ruggles
• Wellsville City Council looks for solutions to sidewalk problems, by Jimena Herrero
• Scottish Highland Games: A different kind of fling in Richmond, by Chris Lee
• ‘Empty Bowls’ Fundraiser to Help End World Hunger, by Allie Jeppson
• Trenton youth pleads guilty to December robbery of convenience store, by Chris Lee
• USU Eastern student journalists win 11 Utah Press awards
• Aggie journalists win 17 regional SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards
• Backyard beekeeping 101: Smithfield class attracts honey of a crowd, by Jessica Wilkinson
• JCOM Scholarships for 2012-13. Deadline: April 2
PeezPIX by Ted Pease
Spring sunrise, Cache Valley.