Take This Job and Shove It!
METROPOLIS—“The Daily Planet has a new job opening. In Superman issue 13, the Man of Steel’s alter ego, mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent, quits the Metropolis newspaper that has been his employer since the DC Comics superhero’s earliest days in 1940. . . .
“‘This is really what happens when a 27-year-old guy is behind a desk and he has to take instruction from a larger conglomerate with concerns that aren't really his own,’ [comic author Scott] Lobdell explains. . . .
“‘I don't think he's going to be filling out an application anywhere,’ the writer says. ‘He is more likely to start the next Huffington Post or the next Drudge Report than he is to go find someone else to get assignments or draw a paycheck from.’”
—Brian Truitt, “Clark Kent makes a major life change in new ‘Superman’: Mild-mannered reporter leaves The Daily Planet,’” USAToday, Oct. 23, 2012
• Yesterday’s WORD: Did you miss yesterday’s WORDs from writer Louis Menand on how journalists and historians see the past? Click here.
News from USU’s award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café
• FRIDAY Rocky Anderson comes to USU to talk press ‘deception’ & presidential politics
• Aggie TV News: (10/17/12) $512,861,410! USU announces conclusion of successful capital campaign; USU tennis coach fired; celebrating successful $400 million USU capital campaign; student response to presidential debates; Aggie woman swims English Channel, sports, northern Utah weather & more.
• Where does taxpayer money go? Richmond’s recorder knows, by Heidi Vaughan
• Obama-Romney too close to call, opinion pollster tells USU audience, by Shayna Marcure
• Smithfield cyclist survives crash, shows up for his own benefit dinner, by Heidi Vaughan
• Richmond Lions join with Logan couple to give glasses to the masses, by Katie Swain
• Opinion: Book nazis—Keep your mitts off my reading lists! by Ted Pease
• Craving a little freak out? Try the Heritage Center’s Haunted Hallow, by Shayna Marcure
PeezPIX by Ted Pease
Click here for larger image: “Autumn” in Northern Utah