Monday, November 12, 2012

Campaign Reform

. 
Take a Breath

“Do you know how much this country has spent on political advertising? A billion dollars. It’s a good thing our roads and schools are in awesome shape or I’d be mad. . . . 

“I’ve been trying to think of a way to fix our political system, because that’s my way of giving back. And I think I have the answer. It’s very, very simple: Ban all political advertising. We did this with cigarette advertising a few years ago. We as a society decided that cigarette advertising was bad for the health of the country, and I think political ads are ’way more toxic.” 

—Andy Borowitz, comedian and New Yorker contributor, “Countdown to 2012 at the 92nd Street Y, Oct. 24, 2012.   

• Editorial Comment: Silence is golden. Healthier, too.

Yesterday’s WORD: Did you miss yesterday’s WORDs from newspaper baron Roy Thomson, on the need for editorial content in his papers? Click here.


Click here for full images





(Be)Friend Dr. Ted, Professor of Interesting Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment