“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
—Isaac Asimov (1920-1992), in Newsweek column, Jan. 21, 1980
• Editorial Comment: Not true! My ignorance is much better than yours.
• Yesterday’s WORD: Did you miss yesterday’s WORDs of career advice for editors from 1800s Texas iconoclast William Cowper Brann? Click here.
• Faculty Wanted: Join our merry band! The JCOM Department at Utah State University has opened searches for two new tenure-track faculty, a Media Generalist and a specialist in PR/Strategic Communication. Interested?
News from USU’s award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café
• Aggie TV News (2/12/13)—Reaction to Pope retirement, $3M gift, weather & sports, anchored by Emily Landeen and Kelton Wells
• Graphic design professor Alan Hashimoto dies in department office
• Musical ‘Jane Eyre’ pushes emotion ‘over the edge,’ composer says, by Dani Hayes
• 10-year-old kids making sweet music: ‘I like all the sound we make,’ by Katie Swain
• Fry Street Quartet concert honors Caine family generosity, impact, by Curtis Lundstrom
• The ribs are back! Savannah’s BBQ reopens after long hiatus, by Jessica Sonderegger
• North Logan city officials weigh benefits of boundary change, by Jonathan Larson
• Oui, merci! Providence first-graders can learn in French, come fall, by Paul Christiansen
• CNN’s Jessica Ravitz comes to USU for Morris Media & Society Lecture • 1,483 pancakes! IHOP fundraiser for kids is about giving—and eating, by Jessica Sonderegger
PeezPIX by Ted Pease
Original PeezPix archival prints, matted at sizes from 5x7" to 16x20" or larger, available for sale: $14 (5x7), $28 (8x12) and up. email email@example.com. Thanks for asking.
(Be)Friend Dr. Ted, Professor of Interesting Stuff
JCOM @ Utah State University—The best little professionally oriented journalism program in Utah.