“(AP) WASHINGTON — Republican presidential contender Ron Paul on Wednesday suggested that the United States could assassinate journalists the same way it targeted Americans with ties to al Qaeda.
“The Texas congressman again criticized President Barack Obama for approving last week’s drone strikes in Yemen against a U.S. citizen who was tracked and executed based on secret intelligence that linked him to two failed terrorist attacks against the U.S. . . . Escalating his criticism, Paul told a National Press Club luncheon that if citizens do not protest the deaths, the country will start adding reporters to its list of threats that must be taken out.
“‘Can you imagine being put on a list because you’re a threat? What’s going to happen when they come to the media? What if the media becomes a threat? ... This is the way this works. It’s incrementalism,’ Paul said. ‘It’s slipping and sliding, let me tell you.’”
—Philip Elliot, AP reporter, “Ron Paul: U.S. Could Target Journalists For Killing” URL (Thanks to alert WORDster Brenda Cooper)
• Editorial Comment: News Item: “Press ignoring Paul candidacy.” Why isn’t this guy doing better in the polls?
• Visit our award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café.
New from HNC:
• ‘Mingi’—journalists bring the story of Ethiopian infanticide to USU
• Images of Ethiopia: Rick Egan’s photos from the Horn of Africa
• 5k run planned to support returning troops in ‘Wounded Warriors’ event
• HELP WANTED:
PR FACULTY: The JCOM Department at Utah State University has opened a national search for a tenure-track professor of public relations and corporate communication. Start date: August 2012. See USU HR link here for full posting and details. Email email@example.com for more information.
• PeezPix cards & prints