Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Overeating

.
Time (Mis)management?

“This is the first year that I think my productivity has dropped because [of my media consumption]. I’m looking at the coming year and thinking, what am I going to give up? Am I going to give up following the NFL? Am I going to give up listening to music and going out and seeing it? Am I going to give up riding my bike? Or am I going to cut back on some of these digital habits I have that are eating me alive and some of these . . . endless panels about the future of journalism? The future of journalism is wearing badges and talking on panels, as far as I can tell.”

—David Carr, media columnist, The New York Times, “David Carr: The News Diet of a Media Omnivore,” on “Fresh Air” with Terry Gross, WHYY, National Public Radio, Oct. 27, 2011
Image: Carr (left) with Times Media Editor Bruce Headlam, from 2011 documentary PAGE ONE.

Related Carr WORD.

• Editorial Comment: Lessee, what to do, what to do? Facebook or shower? Tweet or eat? Skype or read a book? Link or think?

• Related: Page One: Inside the New York Times,” a documentary on the angst and travails of America’s greatest newspaper, featuring the media reporting staff, including David Carr. Reviewer Michael Kinsley calls the film “a mess,” but I recommend it.


MORE INTERESTING STUFF . . . .

Visit our award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café

18-year-old USU sophomore killed in Idaho crash on I-84
Life after the Church: Former Mormons reflect on their decision, by Heidi Hansen




PeezPIX by Ted Pease

PeezPix cards & prints
. . . Catalog here.


Coast Guard motor lifeboat Humboldt Bay comes to the WORD’s rescue in the Pacific over Christmas break. Click on the image for the harrowing tale.


.

1 comment:

  1. Too much info, too little time!!!
    Javan Kienzle

    ReplyDelete