Friday, September 17, 2010

Coarsened

.
Let Me Off Here

“I am...increasingly weary of having to deal with a press which has become increasingly focused on trivia, driven at least in part by the financial collapse of the news industry and the need, with the 24-hour news cycle, to fill the airwaves with hot air. I say that regretfully because I regard what is happening to the news profession as nothing short of a national catastrophe, which I know pains many quality journalists as much as it pains me. Both our professions have been coarsened in recent years and the nation is the loser for it.”

—U.S. Rep. David Obey, Democratic congressman from Wisconsin since 1969,
announcing that he would not run for reelection in 2010
(Thanks to alert WORDster Brad Knickerbocker)
Photo: J. Scott Applewhite/AP

Editor’s Note: We feel your pain.

Today’s Wish-I-Were-Here Photo: Godlight

FRIEND ME! Today's WORD on Journalism is now on Facebook! Join up and rant daily!

1 comment:

  1. If we look to the root of the coarsened 24 hour news cycle AND the coarsening of politicians, we find a significant common contributor lurking behind both: corporatism and corporate control.

    ReplyDelete