Thursday, September 16, 2010

Platypus

.
Deseret Flackery

“There’s nothing ‘innovative’ about merging the staffs of the [Deseret] News and KSL (See “Lead & Innovate,” Sept. 2). It’s merely the creation of a giant platypus, as photojournalist Dirk Halstead called such fused reporting more than a decade ago. . . . And Deseret Connect? Nothing more than glorified, opinionated blogging. What’s the result of the combined newsrooms? I see the News morphing into a slanted Mormon version of The Catholic Register … just pure, unadulterated flack. Hard-hitting, objective journalism is dead at the Deseret News, and I mourn its passing. So, I’m jumping ship for The Salt Lake Tribune, where some semblance of credible journalism is still practiced.”
—Nelson Wadsworth, retired photojournalist and journalism professor,
and ex-
Deseret News subscriber, letter to the editor,
The Salt Lake Tribune, Sept. 15, 2010.
(Cartoon: Mike Keefe, The Denver Post, 2009)

Editor’s Note: Media Divergence?

Today’s Wish-I-Were-Here Photo: Amber Waves of Grain

NOTE: Today’s WORD on Journalism is now on Facebook! Join up and rant daily!

2 comments:

  1. My dad and I have never been fans of Deseret News anyway so best of luck to them. One of my dad's best friends works for the Salt Lake Tribune as a photographer, so we always pick up the Tribune. (More him then me lol) I feel that as Deseret News morphs with KSL there will be a lot of chaos and eventually KSL will suffer. Of course I don't want a newspaper to die but with the decisions that they have already made it's on the road to it's grave.

    Romina Nedakovic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this should be interesting. I can totally see the economic benefit, and really, who can blame DesNews there? But, how are they supposed to be out finding the real, hard-hitting stories and reporting those if their best news writers are suddenly dedicating half their time to tweeting?

    ReplyDelete