Freedom for Others
“The whole essence of freedom is that it is freedom for others as well as ourselves, . . . a conception which is not born with us, but which we must painfully acquire. Most of us have no instinct at all to preserve the right of the other fellow to think what he likes about our beliefs, and to say what he likes about our opinions . . . [But] if truth is to emerge, and in the long run be triumphant, the process of free debate, the untrammeled clash of opinion, must go on.”
—Robert Menzies (1894-1978), Australia’s longest-serving prime minister, 1942 URL (Thanks to alert WORDster Bill Snaddon in Swaziland)
• Editorial Comment: The other half of talking: listening.• Yesterday’s WORD: Did you miss yesterday’s WORDs on liberty and the nation’s future from President Barack Obama’s inaugural address? Click here.
• Faculty Wanted: Join our merry band! The JCOM Department at Utah State University has opened searches for two new tenure-track faculty, a Media Generalist and a specialist in PR/Strategic Communication. Interested?
News from USU’s award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café
• Sundance 2013: ‘Don Jon’ paints grim picture of doomed romance, by Katie Swain
• Rejected by Sundance, moviemaker’s ‘Depression’ a sign of the times, by Dani Hayes
• Sundance 2013: Radcliffe excels in daring, poetic ‘Kill Your Darlings,’ by Katie Swain
• Sundance 2013: Kenny Loggins back ‘Home’ again with new band, by Dani Hayes
• Slamdance 2013 Q&A: ‘Rebel’ DJ LeCash as quirky as his film, by Katie Swain
• Sundance crowd panics at film premier when fire extinguisher explodes, by Katie Swain
• Sundance 2013: ‘Crystal Fairy’ is a trip . . . literally, by Ben Hansen
• Advocate-journalists: How suffering in India changed our worldviews, by Dani Hayes
• USU Eastern science prof headed to be Legislature’s ‘father figure,’ by Nathan Manley
• USU Eastern closes residence hall as enrollment woes continue, by Seth Richards
• From teen radio reporter to early-bird UPR host, alum has plenty to say, by Stacey Worster
• National Geographic photojournalist talks about women in photojournalism, by Brian Champagne & Chris Garff, ATV News
• Broadcast news alum now reporting on the world from Vietnam, by Stacey Worster
PeezPIX by Ted Pease
Art!Art!Art! That’s what a seal says.
(a little something for USU Arts Week)
Original PeezPix archival prints, matted at sizes from 5x7" to 16x20" or larger, available for sale: $14 (5x7), $28 (8x12) and up. email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for asking.
(Be)Friend Dr. Ted, Professor of Interesting Stuff
JCOM @ Utah State University—The best little professionally oriented journalism program in Utah.