“Let’s face it, sports writers, we’re not hanging around with brain surgeons.”
—Jimmy Cannon (1909-1973), famed New York boxing writer who called his sport “the red light district of sports”
• Editorial Comment: Dope slap.
• Yesterday’s WORD: Did you miss yesterday’s WORDs on the essence of freedom, from former Australian Prime Minister Robert Menzies? Click here.
• Faculty Wanted: Join our merry band! The JCOM Department at Utah State University has opened searches for two new tenure-track faculty, a Media Generalist and a specialist in PR/Strategic Communication. Interested?
News from USU’s award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café
• Aggie TV News for Jan. 23: Gun control, worst air in the nation, therapy dogs & more, anchored by Katrina Warburton & Courtney Robinson
• Sundance 2013: ‘Don Jon’ paints grim picture of doomed romance, by Katie Swain
• Rejected by Sundance, moviemaker’s ‘Depression’ a sign of the times, by Dani Hayes
• Sundance 2013: Radcliffe excels in daring, poetic ‘Kill Your Darlings,’ by Katie Swain
• Sundance 2013: Kenny Loggins back ‘Home’ again with new band, by Dani Hayes
• Slamdance 2013 Q&A: ‘Rebel’ DJ LeCash as quirky as his film, by Katie Swain
• Sundance crowd panics at film premier when fire extinguisher explodes, by Katie Swain
• Sundance 2013: ‘Crystal Fairy’ is a trip . . . literally, by Ben Hansen
• Advocate-journalists: How suffering in India changed our worldviews, by Dani Hayes
• USU Eastern science prof headed to be Legislature’s ‘father figure,’ by Nathan Manley
• USU Eastern closes residence hall as enrollment woes continue, by Seth Richards
• From teen radio reporter to early-bird UPR host, alum has plenty to say, by Stacey Worster
• National Geographic photojournalist talks about women in photojournalism, by Brian Champagne & Chris Garff, ATV News
• Broadcast news alum now reporting on the world from Vietnam, by Stacey Worster
PeezPIX by Ted Pease
Original PeezPix archival prints, matted at sizes from 5x7" to 16x20" or larger, available for sale: $14 (5x7), $28 (8x12) and up. email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for asking.
(Be)Friend Dr. Ted, Professor of Interesting Stuff
JCOM @ Utah State University—The best little professionally oriented journalism program in Utah.