WORDnote: Saturday was National Scrabble Day. Did you know there are 101 2-letter Scrabble words?
“Aunt Mercy put down her tiles, one at a time. I-T-C-H-I-N.
“Aunt Grace leaned closer to the board, squinting. ‘Mercy Lynne, you’re cheatin’ again! What kinda word is that? Use it in a sentence.’
“‘I’m itchin’ ta have some a that white cake.’
“‘That’s not how you spell it.’ At least one of them could spell. Aunt Grace pulled one of the tiles off the board.
“‘There’s no T in itchin.’”
—Margaret Stohl, coauthor, the Beautiful Creatures series
• Editorial Comment: The best Scrabble play I ever saw was Q-U-I-X-O-T-I-C on two triple word spaces.
• Related: “National Scrabble Day: A Poem So You’ll Know All 101 Two-Letter Words,”
by David Bukszpan
• Yesterday’s WORD: Did you miss yesterday’s WORDs on reading, from authors Louisa May Alcott, Jorge Luis Borges, David Foster Wallace and other writers without three names? Click here.
News from USU’s award-winning student news site, The Hard News Café
• 68 years after Auschwitz, survivor explains why she forgives the Nazis, by Dani Hayes
• JCOM department honors its best & brightest, announces scholarships
• Walk your own walk, says USU alum in her book, ‘Ballerina Boots,’ by Dani Hayes
• A-TV News—USU’s Lund Hall comes down, learning languages, weather, sports and more, anchored by Courtney Robinson and Jason Borba
• Grant White’s subdivision finally approved by Paradise council, by Dawn Otterby
• Millville man gets out of jail early thanks to job offer, by Dawn Otterby
• Chicken coop fire lights up the night; no birds or humans hurt, by Paul Christiansen
PeezPIX by Ted Pease
Original PeezPix archival prints, matted at sizes from 5x7" to 16x20" or larger, available for sale: $14 (5x7), $28 (8x12) and up. email email@example.com. Thanks for asking.
(Be)Friend Dr. Ted, Professor of Interesting Stuff
JCOM @ Utah State University—The best little professionally oriented journalism program in Utah.